USCIS has announced on February 24, 2015 that dependent spouses of H-1B holders who are in H-4 status may begin filing for work authorization (EAD).  USCIS will begin to accept such applications on 5/26/15.  H-4 dependent spouses are eligible for an EAD if either of the following apply to the H-1B holder:
1) They have an approved I-140, or

2) They have received a post-6 year H1B extension under Sections 106 (a) and (b) of the AC21 Act. 

Please note that dependent spouses who are in F-1 status must change their status to H-4 if the above applies in order to file for work authorization under this new regulation.