J-1 (Visa)
A J-1 visa is for temporary visitors participating in pgorams for the purpose of education, research, training or consulting.


• It is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or    lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training,    or to receive graduate medical education or training • The applicant is sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the US Department of State. • Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to: Professors or scholars, Research Assistants, Students,    Trainees, Teachers, Specialists, Nannies/Au pairs, Camp Counselors


• DS 2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. A SEVIS-generated Form, DS-2019, is provided to you    by your program sponsor, after the sponsor enters your information in the SEVIS system. All exchange visitors,    including their spouses and dependents must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System    (SEVIS). • A Training/Internship Placement Plan, Form DS-7002. All exchange visitor (J visa) trainee or intern visa applicants    (based on Box 7 on form) must also present Training/Internship Placement Plan, Form DS-7002 when applying for    a visa. If your Form DS-2019 is issued prior to July 19, 2007 a Form DS-7002 is not required. For more information    about the rules for trainee and intern programs, see the Exchange Visitor Program, Trainees on the ECA website. • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. • A passport valid for travel to the U.S. • One (1) 2x2 photograph.


Stage 1: Program Application Submitted to ISSS Stage 2: ISSS approves stageaa Stage 3: Apply J-1 Visa to Local US embassy Stage 4: Approval/Return of Passport & Visa


Stage 1 to Stage 2:about 3 weeks - (it depends on the program’s processing system) Stage 2 to Stage 3:about 3 weeks - (it depends on the workload and processing time of the US Embassy you are applying to) Stage 3 to Stage 4:about 1 week - (it depends on the workload and processing time of the US Embassy you are applying to)


A. ISSS is an abbreviation of International Student & Scholar Services located at a college or university B. Some J-1 visa holders enter the United States specifically to work (as a researcher, nanny, etc.) while others     do not. Employment is authorized for J-1 visa holders only under the terms of the exchange program. Please check     with your sponsoring agency for more information on any restrictions that may apply to you working in the United     States. C. J-1 Visa holders’ dependents (J-2 visa holders) are entitled to work authorizations; however, their income may     not be used to support J-1 visa holders

J-1 visa’s ‘Two-year foreign residency requirement’ rule

The J-1 visa holders are subject to the rule which requires some of J-1 visa holders to return to their country of nationality or permanent residence for an aggregate of at least two years upon completion of their program by one or more of the following reasons: (1) The exchange visitor’s participation in an exchange program was funded by the United States Government,     his/her own government, or an international organization (2) The education, training, or skill the exchange visitor is pursuing in an exchange program appears on the exchange     visitor skills list for his/her country (3) The exchange visitor acquired J-1 status on or after January 10, 1977, for the purpose of receiving graduate medical     education or training
You may be eligible to waive this ‘two year foreign residency requirement’ rule if one of following conditions is met: (1) If the exchange visitor’s home country government issues a no objection statement (2) If the exchange visitor is working on a project for or of interest to a US Federal Government agency, and that agency     has determined that the visitor’s departure for two years to fulfill the requirement will be detrimental to its interest (3) If the exchange visitor believes that he or she will be persecuted based on his/her race, religion, or political opinion     if he/she were to return to his/her home country (4) If the exchange visitor can demonstrate that his or her departure from the United States would cause exceptional     hardship to his or her US citizen or legal permanent resident spouse or child (5) If the exchange visitor is a foreign medical graduate who has an offer of full-time employment at a health care     facility in a designated health care professional shortage area or at a health care facility which serves patients from     such a designated area, and agrees to begin employment at that facility within 90 days of receiving such a waiver,     and who signs a contract to continue to work at that health care facility for a total of 40 hours per week and for     not less than three years
Frequently Asked Questions(EB-1)
EB-1 (Extraordinary Ability)
EB-2 (NIW: National Interest Waiver)
EB-1 (Outstanding Researcher)
EB-1 (Adjudication Trend)
Start-Up VISA
J-1/H-3 (Trainee)
O (Extraordinary Ability)
Business Trips (Visa Waiver/ B Visa)
L-1 (Transferee)
E-1/E-2 (Trader/Investor)
H-1B (Professional)
TN/E-3 (Professional)
Start-Up Issues
Green Card (Employment)
EB-1 (Extraordinary Ability)
EB-1 (Multinational Executives)
EB-1 (Outstanding Researcher)
EB-2 (NIW: National Interest Waiver)
EB-2 (Advanced Degree Holders)
EB-3 (Skilled Workers)
EB-4 (Religious Workers)
EB-5 (Immigrant Investors)
Frequently Asked Questions (EB-2)
Green Card (Family)
IR-1 (Spouse of a U.S. Citizen)
IR-2 (Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen)
IR-5 (Parent of a US Citizen)
FB-1 (Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens)
FB-2 (Spouses, Minor Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of LPRs)
FB-3 (Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens)
E-1/E-2 (Work Visa)
E-3 (Visa)
H-1B (Visa)
H-3 (Visa)
L-1 (Visa)
O (Visa)
P (Visa)
R (Visa)
TN (Visa)
J-1 (Trainee)
Frequently Asked Questions (F-1)
Frequently Asked Questions (H-1B)
Frequently Asked Questions (E-2)
Frequently Asked Questions (L-1)
Investment VISA
E-1/E-2 (Investment Visa)
EB-5 (Immigrant Investors)
EB-5 (Regional Center Pilot Program)
Frequently Asked Questions (E-2)
Frequently Asked Questions (EB-5)
Student VISA
F-1 (Visa)
J-1 (Visa)
M-1 (Visa)
OPT/STEM Extension
N400 (Naturalization)
N470 (Preserve Residence for Naturalization)
Other Issues Affecting Immigrants

New York Office

575 Madison Avenue 23rd Fl
New York, NY 10022
TEL: 646.308.1215
FAX: 917.210.4001

New Jersey Office

640 E. Palisade Ave. 3rd F.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
TEL: 201.886.2400
FAX: 917.210.4001

Silicon Valley Office

1250 Oakmead Parkway,
Suite 210
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Tel: 650.856.2500
Fax: 917.210.4001