IR-2 (Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen)

IR-2 (Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen)
You may be eligible to apply for a green card if you are an unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. Citizen.



• Proof of your parent(s)’s US citizenship
• Proof of your relationship with your parent(s).



Stage 1: Collecting Evidence        
Stage 2: Submit Petition to USCIS        
Stage 3: Fingerprint        
Stage 4: Interview      
Stage 5: Approval



Stage 1 to Stage 2: about 3 weeks
Stage 2 to Stage 3: about 1-2 months
Stage 3 to Stage 4: about 2-3 months
Stage 4 to Stage 5: about 1-2 months or on the same day



A. Under this category, you have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited numbers of visas for this category.
B. If you are currently outside the United States and are an immediate relative of a US citizen, you can become a permanent resident through consular processing. You may then travel on the visa and will officially become a permanent resident when admitted as a US port of entry. The Department of State will notify you when you are eligible to apply for an immigrant visa. If you do not apply for an immigrant visa within one year following the notification from the Department of State, your petition may be terminated.
C. When an immediate relative child of a US citizen reaches the 21 years of age, he or she will generally become a first preference (F1) category son or daughter (over 21 years of age) of a US citizen, will no longer have a visa immediately available.
D. If an immediate relative child under age 21 gets married, he or she can no longer be classified as an immediate relative and will become a third preference (F3) category married son or daughter of a US citizen and a visa would no longer be immediately available. You must notify USCIS of any change in your marital status after Form I-130 has been filed for you and prior to becoming a permanent resident or obtaining an immigrant visa

Siyuan Chang